Emma Daigle - The modern nomad

The Nomad Life with KebbeK team rider Emmanuelle Daigle

With the nomadic lifestyle becoming more and more popular and because we, as skateboarders, are used to travelling the globe in search of different skate locations, I caught up with Emma Daigle to talk about her travelling experiences and to know more about how she sustains her active lifestyle.

Meet Emma

Emma Daigle is a 20-something skateboarder, traveller, yoga instructor and artist. She’s known for her nomadic lifestyle, hitting the road every chance she gets in search of new experiences and enriching her life with travelling.

Emma Daigle - The modern nomad

She just got back from a month long trip in California, skating the famous Tuna, a local go-to skate spot. But as soon as she got back, she already started planning her next trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina.

Last year I’ve met Emma briefly at KebbeK KnK Longboard Camp, her last stop on her mini euro tour. She travelled through Sweden and Austria beforehand, visiting freeride events and enjoying some random skate trips to the mountains.

I hit Lillehammer, Almabtrieb and KnK. I enjoyed going to less events and skateboarding more. It was the best of both worlds. Link up with people at events, catch up and then run off into the mountains and skate from dawn to dusk. Non-stop.

In between events she also went rogue with an improvised Kebbek Skateboards team trip in Austria, driving around and skating epic mountain passes.

Better Weather Tour by KebbeK Skateboards
A shot from the Better Weather Tour by KebbeK Skateboards

Isac Printz, Jurgen Gritzner, Benjamin Sabol and herself included explored the nearby Alps and filmed some skate shots for their soon to be released Better Weather Tour video. Don’t worry, we’ll feature it as soon as it comes out to keep you in the loop.

A sustainable travelling lifestyle

When Emma is not skateboarding, she likes to switch it up with other outdoor activities like rock climbing, mountain biking and hiking.

And because of her active lifestyle and her yoga skills, she’s able to sustain her trips by teaching yoga and doing odd jobs along the way. This includes anything from cleaning houses and construction work to random art contracts.

In our conversation, Emma revealed, she doesn’t look up jobs online but rather follows the ‘word on the street’ and even get’s multiple job requests via social media.

So far she didn’t feel the need to find any season jobs in Europe because she lives simply and travels on a budget. But I got curious and looked up season jobs online.

I found that there are many jobs available if you’re planning a longer trip through Europe. You can do anything from babysitting to teaching English, to picking oranges in Spain…but that’s a totally different article.

Connecting with new people

Being an open-minded person means Emma is always open to work on different projects that make her see things from a different perspective. She met Oreon Strusinski, an ocean photographer and the author of the pictures you see in this article.

I wanted to shoot with him to see what type of angles and ideas he would come up with given that shooting skateboarding on ‘land’ is not his main focus. It’s always interesting to have someone from another discipline come in and bring a new outlook to the sport.

Emma Daigle - The modern nomad

Emma did the shoot on her current setup which is her pro model from KebbeK Skateboards, Paris Trucks 165s and Blood Orange wheels. Here’s what she has to say about it:

The board might look small but it’s nimble and surprisingly stable at higher speeds. It’s got a subtle micro drops which suction cup your feet to the board.
Its smaller size makes it perfect for the avid traveller.

Emma Daigle - The modern nomad

Future plans

For now, Emma is travelling through the US and simultaneously planning her next trip to Japan and China. Her focusing is on possibly making Asia her Fall / Winter reality, partially skate related and partially out of curiosity.

Hopefully, we’ll also get to see her somewhere in Europe if the wind blows hard enough 🙂

Traveling the world on board with Rosanne Steeneken

Traveling the world on board: Tips for travel noobies

My name is Rosanne Steeneken and I’m a 21 year old skater from the Netherlands. In 2016 I tried to escape my flat country by exploring Europe without any experience in traveling with my longboard. My adventures were successful and now I’m planning a 2 month trip to North America. A dream come true…

This article is meant for skaters who are complete travel noobies. I wrote down all the basics you need to know about traveling and this is my way of helping the community and giving something back.

In my experience, traveling is fun, but it can also come with some complicated situations. At the end, making mistakes will give you the best life skills. So I advise you to go out and explore the world, skate fast roads and meet new people, but if you want to learn from my mistakes, here are my tips that will make your travels easier.

Make connections

The great thing about the longboard community is that we are one big family. You will most probably always find people that are willing the help you out and contacting the right people really helped me a lot during my trips.

Group photo of the girls skating Wallonhill. Photo By Jouke Bos

On my first journey last year, a trip to Italy, I didn’t event meet any of the girls before going on a road trip with them. It turned out we became really good friends and shared a lot of good times together.

With this said, my advice is to check out the local longboard crews from the country you want to visit and ask around if they would maybe like to show you around or even have a couch for you to surf on. If you are lucky you may even find a skate house where you can stay.

Traveling by plane

Traveling by plane may seem way too expensive…and at the end, it may be. I was able to travel to five different places in the past 6 months just by spending some extra time researching online. At the end, the struggle was worth it. Here are some websites I used that can make traveling by plane a lot cheaper and easier:

Note: Keep in mind that ”budget” air companies make you pay extra for booking and checking the baggage. Also note that the prices are almost always a bit higher than those you see online.

Traveling by bus or train

If you are staying inside Europe, I would consider checking out the buses and trains going to your destination. Although, it may take a lot more time than traveling by plane, it can also be less hassle with your luggage.

With Flixbus you can even bring one item of hand luggage (max. 42 x 30 x 18 cm, max. 7kg) and 2 items of luggage (max. 67 x 50 x 27 cm, max. combined weight 30kg).

Also check out BLA BLA car. Sometimes it can be a good option, just make sure you check the luggage size you are allowed to bring!

I like traveling by bus or a train, because it gives me the chance to see more of the country I’m in. I can also stretch my legs and keep an eye on my stuff.

Packing for the trip

There are two types of luggage you need to consider, a backpack and luggage with all your skate gear. When I travelled, I use both. A backpack (a carry on if you’re traveling by plane)  for small stuff and personal belongings and a longboard bag for all my skate gear.

Before you go on a plane, think about what you want to put in your carry on luggage. I normally use a backpack and fill it up with skate wheels and small accessories to save some weight for my longboard travel bag.

Packing a full face helmets is always a bit tricky, but I have my own little trick. When I fly, I check if the company allows me to carry a little extra cabin bag. If this is allowed, a full face may be too big to become that extra little bag. What I do is, I just put my jacket over the helmet when it’s time to board the plane.

If you do this, you need to be super friendly to the flight crew and put your helmet underneath your feet or chair in front of you once you are on the plane. Also, if you explaining that your helmet is a life/death situation it may do the trick.

Packing for a longboard trip. Photo by Rosanne Steeneken

For my longboard gear, I got myself a 42 inch loyal buddy Decent Hardware bodybag that has been by my side for a half a year now. I don’t know what I would do without it. This longboard travel bag comes with little wheel bags inside and is big enough to fit your full face in as well.

I found out that this 42 inch bag is allowed at almost every budget air company. The only thing is, you will be asked to put it in the odd baggage section. When you land at your destination, just ask someone from the airport where you can pick up your oversized bag.

My Packing List

As long as you don’t make your mom pack your bags it’s not that hard to bring a lot of stuff with you. Before you set off, you can Google packing tips and find a lot of minimalist packing lists to hold on too. Here are some essentials I always take with me:

  • A micro fibre towel – it dries super quick and is small enough to keep in your bag.
  • Extra pair of laces, maybe even 3 – you can also use it as a belt.
  • Don’t pack shoes, pack breaking soles instead – you’re only gonna need 1 pair of skates shoes, 1 pair of casual shoes and flip-flops.
  • Reusable water bottle with a carbine hook
  • Extra slide pucks
  • A smaller backpack and a wheel bag – because wheels are always dirty.

Important documents you need when traveling


Having a valid passport or ID card is one of the most obvious things you need to travel. I have too many friends that forget or lost their passport during traveling, that is why I recommend making a copy of your documents and emailing it to yourself. You never know what will happen.


What I like to do is keeping my passport, boarding pass, wallet, phone and other important document inside a fanny pack. It’s easy to grab and close to your body and it is much harder to steal.

If you want to make it extra safe, put your passport and boarding pass inside a plastic folder. In addition, you will also get 10 extra swag points for wearing a fanny pack these days.

International drivers license

When you planning to go outside of Europe, make sure you get yourself an international driver’s license. You don’t want your buddies to drive all the time right? 😉

When I need one, I just Google where to get it and take a passport photo with me. Most of the time it costs only around 20 euro.


ALWAYS GET TRAVEL INSURANCE!!! You are a skater and you never know when you’ll get yourself into trouble. Getting travel insurance, besides your EHIC card is a lot easier and cheaper if something actually happens to you any you need to get treatment.

Additional tips

  • Get yourself a credit card. If you’re going to rent a car somewhere they will most probably ask you for one.
  • But don’t only take your ATM card, make sure you always have around 50-100 euros cash on you.
  • If you own an iPhone you can download an app called iPhone Wallet. With it, you can save all your digital tickets. If you keep your phone charged, you don’t need to print them out.
  • Don’t forget to pack a universal power converter and a power bank.
  • Have a journal and a pen. You can make a list of your schedule and a list of your belongings so you always know what you took with you and what not to forget.
  • Check what time the airport opens in the morning. If your flight leaves early you don’t want to sleep outside of the airport. Been there done that…

My favourite places to travel

If you want to start your new life of traveling, start with longboard events and freerides. This way you have something to hold on too. Besides longboard events, I find it really fun to also visit local communities and meet new people. These are the places I liked the most so far:

  • Tenerife ( Sliders skate house ) duh..
  • North Italy
  • KnK Longboard camp ( Slovenia)
  • Bela Joyride (Austria)
  • Barcelona
  • Wallonhill (Belgium)

Rosanne's longboard trip to Tenerife


If you want to make it interesting, take a look at the less popular destinations like Poland, Scandinavia or England. They have great skate spots and an awesome longboard community.

Final words

Last but not least, don’t be an asshole. Pitch in your fair share. You’re a broke skater, we get it, but so is everyone else.

When traveling with other people pitch in for gas and throw in your part.  Do people let you stay at their house for free? Be a good person and help them clean up. Even if you have a place to stay, camping rules still apply.

Leave the place cleaner than you found it. Because there’s nothing worse, than a shitty house guest or travel partner. It leaves a lasting impression so make it a good one.

In conclusion, I hope this article helped you and made you excited for traveling in the upcoming season. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me online or leave some comments down below! 🙂

Traveling without the EHIC card might cost you a lot of money

As a resident of the EU traveling and skating across Europe, the minimum you can do to ensure that you will get the required medical attention in case of an accident, without ending up with a huge hospital bill, is to have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

In this post, I’ve compiled all the information you need to know about EHIC. Read through to know where to get yours, how it works and what it actually covers.

Be a good friend and share this post with your skate buddies, so that they can also learn about the EHIC card for themselves.

Why you shouldn’t travel without the European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card allows you to receive medical treatment in most European countries as you normally would with your national health insurance card in your country of habitual residence.

It is issued totally free of charge and the only criteria of getting one is to be insured or covered by a statutory social security scheme in your own country.

A passport, an ID card or a national health insurance card are often not enough to get “free” health care in a foreign country. That is why you need EHIC.

Basically, the EHIC card is a document which proves that you are covered by a statutory social security scheme in your own country. If you don’t have it, the foreign hospital providing you with health care can’t know if you’re covered or not. So, as a precaution, they will charge you for the treatment.

Where to get your EHIC card

The EHIC card is issued by your national health insurance provider. You can obtain yours by visiting their office personally, as well as ordering it online on their website by filling an application form.

Follow these 3 steps to locate the correct EHIC application form for your country:

  1. Visit the European Commission website
  2. Find your country on the list of flags and click on it. You will be presented with a hyperlink to the official website of your national health insurance provider.
  3. Click the link to visit your national health insurance provider’s website.
  4. Once you’re there, look around for “Apply for your card” button (or something similar) and follow their instructions (fill in the form and submit).

Get your EHIC card on time (!)

In my country, it’s advised to order the EHIC card at least four working days prior to a trip.

In case if you forget to order your card in time, you can still visit your national health insurance provider and ask for a certificate which will temporarily replace the EHIC card.

List of countries where EHIC has you covered

The European Health Insurance card is valid in 28 member states of the EU and 4 member states of the European Free Trade associations (EFTA). This includes all of the European countries with the addition of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

  • The European Union (EU)
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
  • The European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
    Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein (EEA countries).

However, it does not apply to The Chanel Islands, Isle of Man, Monaco, San Marino and The Vatican, but these are not popular skate destinations anyway.

Furthermore, if your EHIC for some reason is not recognised by the authorities in the European country you are visiting, you can request your home insurer to call the doctor or the hospital where you are treated.

Know what you can expect in a foreign country

In case you will need to use your European Health Insurance Card on a skate trip, you will receive state-provided healthcare treatments. This will be provided in the same manor as it would be to a local resident.

EHIC also covers treatments of chronic or pre-existing medical conditions, but be sure to consult with your insurance company before your trip.

EHIC does not cover rescue or repatriation services (flying you back home) nor does it cover dental treatment that can be delayed until you get back. It also does not cover any travel related incidents such as stolen property or lost luggage.

This means that EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance.

It would be best to also think about getting a valid travel insurance policy before you start your trip.

Because health care systems vary depending on the country, you should check with your national health care provider to find out what exactly is covered in the country you wish to visit.

Important tips that can save you loads of hassle in case of an injury

First and foremost make sure you have your European Health Insurance Card and your personal documents (passport or identity card) on you at all times.

This is important especially when you’re attending a longboard event in a foreign country.

Often times at the events skaters spend a long time waiting in the ambulance for their friends to finish their run, go to the campsite/hotel and search for their documents and EHIC.

Save yourself the hassle and be responsible, have it with you on the track.

Best thing to do is to tell your friends where you keep your documents. A good idea is to also have a responsible friend in charge of the car keys (they may need to drive or follow you to the hospital).

The next important tip is to always have some spare cash at hand.

It is true that the EHIC insures you get free treatment, but that’s not always the case.

In some countries you may be expected to pay the bill upfront. You can however claim a refund once you get back home. In this case, save the receipts and all of the paperwork. Once you’re home safely, get in touch with your insurance company.

Moreover, you may also be asked to pay a percentage of the state-provided treatment. This means you may also need to pay for prescription costs, also known as co-payment. This may not be refundable.

As mentioned previously, the card is free, so please note that if you order it through a business or a non-official agent who wants to charge you for it, it’s probably a scam.

A very useful tip for those who already have their European Health Insurance Card is to always check the expiration date before you start your trip. The EHIC can be valid anywhere from 1 month to 5 years, depending on your health insurance status.

Final outline

  • Order your European Health Insurance Card at least 4 working days prior to your trip
  • Check the expiration date before you leave home
  • Always and I mean always, have your documents and EHIC on you
  • Let your skate buddies know where you keep your documents
  • Always carry some spare cash on you – you might need to pay for your treatment
  • EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance – it’s best to get additional insurance
  • If you find yourself in an emergency during you skate trip in Europe, dial 112. This is the European emergency number and is valid in all EU/EEA member states

That’s it for now…

If you have any questions or think something’s missing, let us know in the comments below. Also help you friends learn about EHIC by sharing this article with them.

Thank you for reading, now go out and skate and keep it safe!

Disclaimer: Please note that you should double check all the rules according to your country and inform yourself properly via the official EHIC webpage. Information provided in this article can eventually become outdated in case if  EHIC regulations change. We will make sure to check and update the website with the new information. The featured image of this post represents a Slovenian version of EHIC and has been altered in order to protect the privacy of the card owner.

Additional editing by Mihael Zadravec.